A staple of any summer wardrobe should be a simple shirt style dress. Last summer we were in Alabama and everyone was wearing shift dresses. A lovely woman we met while dining on schnitzel under a giant rocket explained that everyone wears dresses because it’s the least amount of fabric touching your body. It’s resting on your shoulders but then just sort of skims the rest and hopefully you’ll get a bit of breeze and keep as cool as possible.
I decided Girly needed a few shift dresses in her life. And the more “tropical” the print, the better! I love the center embellishment to break up the flat plane of the front. You can stay thrifty or you can find crazy expensive trim. The yellow flower trim was from one of the local big box stores for super cheap. I ironed on some fuseable bonding web (stitch witchery) and then painstakingly poked each and every hole out between the flowers before ironing it to the front of the dress. Time consuming but so worth it!
This free pattern is only available in sizes 3-6 for now. I will draft more sizes in between other projects as I get time.
BTW, Girly was “in a mood” on the day I needed photos for this dress and I got a total of one. One grumpy image. She likes the second and third dresses from this pattern I made for her so hopefully I’ll be able to come back and edit this post with more images very soon!
What IS that thing? Why did I make it? Why would you ever need something like that?
If you have little girls, you make find yourself needing one more than you think.
A’s hair was too short to put up into a “proper” bun and she needed one for her recital this weekend. So, being ultra cheap, I decided I didn’t want to pay the $5 at the beauty supply store to buy a hair donut. I didn’t even want to spend the $1 at the dollar store to buy one. I wanted to spend nothing, nada, zip, zilch, whateverelsemeans$0. I have a big ol’ tote full of tiny balls of yarn and a movie playing so I grabbed a ball that closely matched A’s hair color and sort of figured it out as I went…
I made a tube and once it seemed long enough, I bound off and started sewing it up into a donut shape. Before I closed it up completely I stuffed it with some polyfil I conveniently keep in a bag under my nightstand (doesn’t everyone store random stuffing by their bed? I like to be able to craft if I get inspired in the middle of the night, I guess…)
It took me about an hour start to finish and I was watching a really bad movie at the same time so it wasn’t really any time out of my day.
Download The Dancing Donut Below!
You’ll want to match your yarn as close to your hair as you can just in case your ponytail can’t completely cover it. I knew A’s hair would have a little bare spot so I made sure that her feather hair piece would cover that bald spot. No one could tell unless I moved her feathers and pointed at it so I’m pretty dern confident that you couldn’t tell once she was on stage.
That was A, backstage pre-recital. Isn’t she just the cutest! She was super excited-probably more about the little goodie bag and flowers at the end than actually being on stage but isn’t that what life is about in preschool?
I don’t even know why I’m making this tutorial. It’s so simple, photos are overkill. But I am anyway.
I had this super cute flannel hanging around my studio for a looooong time. It never got put away because I wanted to do something with it right away but never did. Probably a year passes and it’s STILL sitting out on my cutting counter without a real purpose except for looking cute. I’m a sucker for bicycle fabric. I wavered on making PJ pants out of it but I think my husband would kill me if I made yet another pair of pajama pants (in my defense, it gets downright frigid for a good part of the year here and the wool socks/flannel pant combo is what gets me through the winter). I know, I’ll make some cute napkins to send with school lunches! Kiddo likes to say we are a “reuseit” kind of family and hates when he has to throw a wrapper or napkin away at school. He’d rather bring washable containers and bring them back home.
I had about 1.5 yards give or take a few inches. I didn’t measure and remember that it came off the end of the bolt. I managed to get about 9 double layer napkins out of that. You will get, well, double, if you choose to do single layer.
Start by cutting out 13×13″ squares. I got 3 squares out of each 13′ strip from selvage to selvage.
If you want to serge, place 2 squares wrong sides together and zip around the edges! It’s that easy.
If you don’t have a serger, place your 2 squares right sides together and stitch around leaving a small opening. Clip corners and turn right side out. Topstitch all the way around again.