I used to make pockets a few years ago. I used to LIKE pockets.
After a few kids and trying almost every diapering “system” known to man, I got tired of fiddling with everything day after day, laundry load after laundry load. Inserts, liners, layers, extra inserts, snap down, snap up, pain in my you-know-what.
|Poor baby’s diaper is bigger than he is!|
Photo: E. Voll
I’m busy. I do not enjoy spending the better part of an evening stuffing pockets. I do not enjoy having to stick my hand in a soiled diaper to get the insert out. Because, you know, Murphy’s law dictates that you WILL get poop on your hand. Every. Single. Time. And don’t believe the claims that they will wiggle out in the wash. They never did for me. I ended up with a stinky soggy insert ball in the shell at the end of the cycle each time I tried. So then I had to rewash everything. I was over diapering in general but especially over pockets. ESPECIALLY one size pockets when I had 2 kids in them. They were always snapped too little (or under/over stuffed) for the wrong kid and SOOOOOO bulky on the smaller sizes. So, so bulky.
That’s when I started making (and using) All In Twos (AI2s) as the bulk of my waterproof diapering usage. It’s as simple as putting on an All In One but has the adjustability of pockets since I can add insert boosters as needed for naps or nighttime. No need to unstuff-just throw the whole thing in the wetbag OR (and here’s where it was great for me once Adlai started eating more real food and her poops were more predictable and not every diaper change) unsnap the wet only insert, let the shell air dry for a bit (I liked to rotate about 3 shells during the day) and snap in a new one. My diaper loads were cut in half, instantly!
Reasons why The Eli Monster AI2s are the bomb-diggity (I can’t think of a better descriptive phrase here…)
- Waterproof, no separate cover needed.
- Adjustable absorbancy
- Easy to wash-since the inserts *can* be removed, you get a more thorough cleaning. Even better, if you don’t remove the insert, everything still gets cleaned since there’s no place for the insert to bunch up.
- Less laundry. Since the inserts can be removed, you can reuse the shell a few times before washing as long as baby just wets (toss the whole thing in the wetbag when there’s a dirty-dirty diaper)
- Easy to use. Wears just like a pocket or All in One.
- NO STUFFING!!!!
- NO UNSTUFFING!!!! Just a quick unsnapping, or for dirty diapers, toss the whole thing in the wetbag and forget it.
- Choice of materials next to baby’s skin. Most pockets have a microfleece or suedecloth inner layer to help wick moisture through it to the insert but since AI2s don’t need that extra layer, you can have organic bamboo velour or stay-dry suedecloth, depending on your baby’s needs.
- Sized shells means that even smaller sizes are nice and trim. You don’t need a whole new wardrobe to accommodate the diaper bulk.
- Less cost overall. Since you can reuse the shells, you can buy addition inserts at a lower price than a full diaper.